Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Heavenly Fall



I love the fall. We've had some wonderful days of low humidity down here. It's just been so refreshing to be outdoors. I love summer stuff, but I am more than ready to see the cooler air blowing in. I love eating candy corn, cooking hamburgers over a campfire, taking the dogs on walks in the afternoon, opening the windows and watching the curtains blow around in the breeze, decorating my home with fall colors, watching college football, carving pumpkins...there are so many things to enjoy about each season, but fall is probably one of my favorites.




A book I read several years ago, The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold has a cool idea of what heaven might be like. I won't go into details about the book (it's a good one, though), but, the main character has died and is in heaven. At one point, her grandfather comes to see her, there is a party and she and her grandfather dance in a beautiful meadow surrounded by lights. She describes how they dance and dance and time seems to pass by quickly and stand still at the same time. I thought that was an interesting way to describe eternity. I imagine that God is creating the "mansions" he speaks of in the bible and to my earthly body, this mansion will hold all the things I love: Steve and Wil will be by my side, Matt to cuddle with, I can hear the ocean, there are endless M&Ms, a fire in the fireplace and my family around to sing songs with. We all harmonize to each song and we vary from old hymns to 80's hair band songs. We sing and time seems to pass by quickly and not at all at the same time. Every now and then a cool fall breeze comes through and I can feel it blowing my hair around. I can't imagine anything better, but I know the real heaven will be a 1,000 times better than that. This fall weather takes me to that place in my heart where I know I am experiencing something that makes me so happy I want it with me to eternity.




3 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

I love your connection between fall and heaven and that, no matter how we imagine it, it will be so much better! Thanks for the insight!
Also, I love candy corn, too. :)

Anonymous said...

cool thoughts...

Anonymous said...

You have a great blog. Well said.