Friday, March 2, 2012

Books....

My favorite books?

In no particular order:

1. The Giver by Lois Lowry - I think I had to read this for school or I found it on those Scholastic book orders the teachers would pass out in Middle school. The book is set in the future, almost like Logan's Run, where everyone has a designated job. There are jobs like doctors, nurses and teachers, but the names are different. Your job is assigned to you when you are around 12 and the job of the "Giver" is very rare and special. You have to read the book to find out why. The story is about the main character, Jonas, a 12-year-old boy learning his job/fate and what that means.

2. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - This book is HILARIOUS. It's set in New Orleans and Ignatius, the main character, is just hilarious to me. He's pretty rude, obnoxious, gross and all around an unpleasant fellow. The funny part is that Ignatius has NO idea he is any of those things. This book intertwines several stories of other characters he interacts with. I can't help but chuckle when I read Ignatius inner monologues and actions. The writing is amazing.

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling - I love all the Harry Potter books, but I have a soft spot for the first three. They were so innocent and easy. I picked the first book because that is where you are introduced to the magical world of Harry Potter for the first time. In fact it's the first time HARRY is introduced to this world. J.K. Rowling describes every detail. I remember being so happy when I saw the first movie because everything from Diagon Alley to Hogwarts was so close to how I imagined it would look when I read the book. Give this book a chance if you haven't already and see what all the fuss is about.

Speaking of fuss....
4. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I borrowed this book from a friend. At first I disliked it. I didn't like the teenage drama. But when I thought I didn't like it and put it down....well I couldn't stop thinking about the story and wondering what would happen next. So I picked it back up. Finished it in one night and now I can't wait for the movie. It's set in the future as well and is a great story of determination and bravery. It can really be enjoyed on many levels which explains it's popularity in adults and children.

5. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - I don't know why, but this is one of those books I can pick up anytime, open up to any page and just start reading. I love the way Wally Lamb writes. He describes events and settings in great detail. His characters are very deep and nuanced and I discover small things every time I read a passage that I didn't notice before. He's also written The Hour I First Believed and I Know This Much Is True. Both are also great books. The subject matter is rough and I don't condone any of the character's actions, but they are all great stories.

6. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I could also throw in Little Men and Jo's Boys to this list as well, but I'll include them all here. I love reading about how the ladies in the March family handle the good times and the bad. I think there's a little of Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy in all of us. Love the way Louisa May Alcott describes children, how they interact and why they do what they do. She had such insight into their minds. It makes you love kids and makes me in particular want a house full of boys (after I read Little Men).

7. Any Nancy Drew mystery - I love a good Nancy Drew mystery. I love how Nancy is ALWAYS prepared (i.e. suitcase of extra clothes in the back of her stylish convertible, extra flashlight with extra batteries in the glove compartment, raincoat and galoshes in her back seat if she needs to do some sleuthing in the rain...always prepared). I love trying to figure out the motive and criminal before the end of the book. I love how polite all the folks are in these books (except for the bad guys of course). I'm trying to collect as many of these as I can (hint - birthday and Christmas presents, folks!)

8. Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding - Another book I can pick up and read anytime. Bridget is hilarious. I think any girl can relate to her. She worries over her weight, smoking habits, relationships, parents and job. The diary is her record of a complete year in her life. Very funny, set in England. If you enjoyed the movie you will LOVE the book.

9. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls - This is a true story about an amazing family. I actually read Half-Broke Horses (Jeanette Walls' biography about her great grandmother) before I read The Glass Castle. It's hard to believe this story is true, but I know it is. Jeanette and her siblings overcome amazing obstacles and live an extraordinary life with her unusual parents. When I read the sentence I just wrote I realize it sounds like they're some sort of sparkly magical/Richie Rich sort of family and it's actually quite the opposite.

10. New York by Edward Rutherford - I actually listed to this book on CD instead of sitting down and reading it. It's a huge book and details the history of the city of New York from the time it was called Manahatah by it's native inhabitants all the way to the destruction of the Twin Towers in 2001. It has so much history and I loved learning so much about my favorite city. The story follows several families and their lives in NYC. I like historical novels because I like understanding about what real life was like during these events you read about in your history books. This book does a great job of just that. Definitely worth the time to read or listen to.

Ok, that's 10. I could go on and on, but I think I've hit the highlights here. Give me your recommendations below. I love to read and volunteer at the library once a week. The best part of volunteering is leaving with the stack of books I found.

Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

I am right there with you on several of these! The Giver was so awesome, and I would never have discovered it if not for a children's literature class! I'm curious about The Hunger Games as well but haven't had a chance to read them yet. My reading right now is all school or baby related, so I can't wait to get back to something "fun."

Matt said...

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. The Long Halloween. Hearts in Atlantis. Superman For All Seasons. A Light in the Forest. Brave New World.