Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Goodbye Facebook, it's been real.

I bid farewell to Facebook.

I was checking it too much and spending way to much time worrying over other people's political beliefs, moral beliefs, life events and wherever else I was sticking my nose into where it didn't need to be. It was too much. It was time to move on.

I feel like, in a way, it was time for me to grow up. I don't mean that people who use Facebook are immature or not grown up - that's just how it related to me. Lots of folks use it to stay in touch with friends, family, etc. - I think, maybe, it was holding me back? We'll see if I'm right. I'm going to keep in contact with folks in other ways - this blog for instance - and some old fashioned ways. So feel free to email me anytime to say hello - or leave a comment on this blog with your email. I realize it's funny to call email "old fashioned" and if you prefer a hand written letter I can certainly write you one. Now, whether or not I ever get a stamp for it is a completely different issue.

Facebook gives you the option to download all your Facebook data. I'd recommend this as we had lots of photos that were lost when our hard drive crashed and pulling them off Facebook was the only way we had them for keeps. It's a smart thing to do. It even archives the comments on your photos and the entire history of your profile page. These archives save as HTML documents, but I converted them all to PDFs and have saved them in our Google cloud. It's a nice little way to have it all saved even if you don't plan to quit The Facebook anytime soon.

We'll see how it goes. If I come crawling back because I just can't stand not knowing about folks - please be kind. I'll feel guilty enough on my own.

So, dear Facebook, keeper of all relationship statuses, blurry sonogram photos that keep me from recognizing the married name of an old friend, updates from Honey Boo Boo, instagram photos, status re-posts for causes, political commentary, college football commentary and Farmville - I bid you adieu.

Photo by Hannah Sumner

4 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

I hear ya! I've scaled back a good bit there (and made frequent use of the "hide" button). It's the only way I keep up with a few family and friends, so I'm not ready to give it up just yet...but I totally get it. Good luck!

Allison webb said...

As long as you stay in touch with me! It's a lazy way (which is my kind of way) to stay in touch but GOSH it makes me look at people differently after you see some of the stuff they post. I may be guilty of hiding some of those people! :). Miss you friend!

Ashley Crocks said...

Allison - of course I will stay in touch! I need to see photos of your little red head.

Same for you Tiffany! I love seeing my childhood friends become mommas! It's crazy to see another generation of us.

I had gotten to where I had blocked all friends except for family and friends I actually corresponded with after friending them. I totally get the convenience of it - we shall see how it goes. :-) Thanks for the support.

Ashley Crocks said...

Allison - of course I will stay in touch! I need to see photos of your little red head.

Same for you Tiffany! I love seeing my childhood friends become mommas! It's crazy to see another generation of us.

I had gotten to where I had blocked all friends except for family and friends I actually corresponded with after friending them. I totally get the convenience of it - we shall see how it goes. :-) Thanks for the support.