Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rain, Fay, Rain

Fay wasn’t the storm everyone expected it to be. I’m thankful for that. I admit I looked forward to the possibility of a day off. It looks like we’ll have a wet weekend, though. The storm is turning left at Jacksonville and curving back toward us. At that point it will be a tropical depression.

More rain is wonderful news for the dirt roads in our rural southern neighborhood. Muddy roads are not really a problem by themselves, it’s the ruts created by the ½ ton pick-up trucks which seem to be the car of choice by most of the men in the county. Our poor cavalier just can’t make it over the huge bumps and ruts their tires create. We’ve contemplated parking on the main road and walking home, but that would get mud EVERYWHERE. I guess I should just prepare for a weekend at home. It’s almost like we are riding out a hurricane, but with less wind. I wrote this blog earlier, and before I could publish it, Matt showed me how Fay was expected to hit the Atlantic and turn into a hurricane and bear left toward Tallahassee. It will be a small hurricane, but crazy nonetheless. Any volunteers to come and hunker down with us?? I promise we're entertaining.

We went to Orlando this past weekend since it was the first chance for us to use our passes at Disney. It was nice to have them because we were able to do really low-key stuff and discover things we hadn’t done before. We had supper in one park and lunch in another. It was really cool. We went to an animation academy in Hollywood Studios (I still want to call it MGM.) where we learned how to draw Donald Duck and we could keep the drawing. We’ll probably go back to that all the time and have a collection of characters. We also went to a really fun show at Epcot, Turtle Talk with Crush. Epcot has redone the seas pavilion and now it’s basically all Finding Nemo. Crush the cartoon interacts with kids in the audience and answers questions and makes jokes. It’s really fun.


I was glad we had the tickets where we could come and go because I was super tired this weekend. Friday nights have become our stay at home nights. We don’t even go out to eat because we’re both so tired. It’s great to go to bed knowing I can sleep in on Saturday. (If you call 8 or 8:30 “sleeping in”.) We traveled to Orlando and went to Ikea and 2 parks on Friday so we didn’t get the early night we were used to and I felt it. I feel so old as I write this. It’s not like I run marathons all week, but, the stress of work was rough last week.

Of course, I shouldn’t feel too old. In high school I napped all the time – Sunday afternoons were nap time. I don’t need those anymore so perhaps I’ve matured a little, but not too much. J Matt would say I need to reinstitute the Sunday nap, but I hate to waste Sundays and make them go by faster because the sooner they’re over the sooner Monday morning comes. Ugh.

1 comment:

Tiffany Norris said...

I'm jealous of your Disney adventures! Jason and I have been wanting to go since we got married. :)
Totally on the same wavelength about the Sunday nap thing. I want it, and I don't.
Good luck riding out Fay!