Monday, August 27, 2007

Satellite Radio and Labor Day

We had a wonderful visit home this past weekend. We got in about 10:30 last night. I got Matt a Sirius portable radio system for his birthday and it has proved to be very helpful on long car rides. Normally in the last couple of hours of driving it gets rough because it's getting dark and you've worn out your CDs and radio music. Sirius offers several entertaining talk radio stations so it gives you something else to listen to and breaks up the monotony. We listened to the Blue Collar Comedy station for a long time. It was 5-6 minute excerpts from comics that were really funny that rotated constantly. We heard lots of comics we had never heard of before and we never heard the same person twice. It was really fun. Plus they have sports, Martha Stewart, and an old radio show broadcast channel. I listened to a detective story when I was driving. We love the music, but after a long ride, you need something different and the comedy channels proved a perfect distraction.

We'll be traveling a lot in the next few weeks. Birmingham and Auburn this weekend, the cruise and then home again. I don't mind though. It makes the work week go by faster when I have things to look forward to. Matt is excited about the game and I am excited about going to Birmingham for a few days. It's going to be nice to have the day off for Labor Day. I remember I used to think that Labor day was like an alternative Mother's day since mothers "go into labor" when they have a baby. I finally figured out the difference. I think I thought people called work "labor" back during the Depression but it's not a term used today...haha.

College football season starts this weekend. Our house will not be the same for the next few months. Just an FYI, if you need Matt on a Saturday from now on, be prepared to speak to him only during commercial breaks and halftimes. He'll be in his chair with the Pickle and Stevie and the surround sound cranked up. This is our first time to see a sport we actually care about on our big TV. I'm excited. It will cool to see something other than NASCAR in high definition. We'll be able to see tattoos, 5 O'clock shadows and missing teeth!

Also, in case I don't get a chance to post before this weekend, I have to add in a ROLL TIDE! Hopefully this will be a great year for us.

No comments: