Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The love is back.

In the Fall of 2008 I wrote a blog, Clear Blue Water, about being sick of the campaign and pretty much politics in general despite my love for it. Today I am home sick (more on that later), and I got to watch the inaguration of President Obama. I am back in love.


Depsite who you voted for, you have to admit how amazing our political process is. We hold an open vote for all men and women, despite race, beliefs or religion. We stand by the results of that vote and we welcome the next leader in with the same pomp and circumstance regardless of who was elected. The peaceful transistion of power is such a moving thing to watch. As I said in the blog I mentioned above. I LOVE politics. I watched the inaguration today, looking for familiar faces, enjoying the music, the prayers and even the poet. (too many people just walked away, she was great). My excitement for this has less to do with my personal political beliefs and more from my love of tradition. Regardless of what is going on in our world, we do the same thing every 4 years. It's just great to see these traditions be carried on.


Today is a historic day for many many reasons. The excitement and wonder I have for these traditions that started centuries ago. I love history and to see it in the making just dazzles me.


*on a side note, how cute was it when they showed his little girl (Malia, I think) recording her Dad's inagural speech on her little digital camera. That just touched me.



Ok - on to the sickness. I have been knocked flat by an awful sinus infection. I took off work a couple of Fridays ago because I was feeling bad, then this past Thursday I woke up with a swollen eye. The Dr. said that my congested sinuses had caused my eye to become infected. I was sent home with eye drops and a perscription for antibiotics. But my congestion and sneezing just got worse over Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Marg was in town and we had a fun weekend, but I mostly spent it under blankets with a box of tissues nearby. I went back to the Dr. this morning to see if I could get stronger antibiotics and I left with 2 shots in my rear end, a new perscription for antibiotics and an order from the Dr. to continue resting at home, knocking out my plan to go to Orlando this week for a conference. Oh well. I do feel pretty crappy. Keep me in your prayers that my meds will kick in and I'll be back to my old self soon. I'm tired of being sick for sure.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you are sick. You did get to see some pretty special history though. Take care. Love you.