Thursday, January 7, 2010

Roll Tide

Coach Gene Stallings, on campus


I remember watching the 1992 National Championship game. I was 11 years old and in the 6th grade. I think it was the first Alabama football game I had ever really sat down and watched the entire way through, or at least it's the first I can remember. My dad had gone to a friends house to watch it with his buddies. Me, Andrea and Momma watched it in our living room in the house we were renting on Locust Shores while our new house was being built.

It was amazing. I remember the touchdowns. I remember George Teague ripping that football out of the Miami player's arms. I remember being unable to believe we won and being so excited and so happy. I was a Bama fan way before then. I was sporting Bama gear from the very beginning, but by age 11 I had decided on my own who to cheer for. During that game I remember for the first time the emotions (excitement, nerves, fear, pride, etc.) that I have felt for the team ever since.

I'm proud to be an alumna from the University of Alabama. Not only am I proud of our athletics, but also of the school. It has a great campus, great teachers, great atmosphere and offers a wonderful education.
Me and Bear Bryant, on campus

So I'm excited - nervous - proud - and tons of other emotions as the game tonight gets closer. I wish I was in Alabama to experience it all with my family and friends, but it will just be me and Matt tonight grilling burgers and bidding our favorite sports season adieu until September.

So ROLL TIDE ROLL! I'm so proud of our team this year and I can't wait to celebrate tonight!!