Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Big Apple

We welcomed 2010 with a trip to New York City. We weren't there for New Year's Eve. The city is crazy during that time anyways. We arrived on New Year's Day to a cold crisp NYC. We had some COLD days walking around the city, but from the weather reports it was just as cold in Alabama and Florida that week. In fact, I think at times it was actually COLDER in AL and FL. Crazy. Looks like we must have picked a good time to travel north?


Went to an awesomely fun piano bar called "Don't Tell Mama" with Loftin (Matt's friend from high school, who lives in NYC). We had an awesome night enjoying the piano player, singers and regulars to the bar who were "karaoke" singers. Some were really good and some were just plain hilarious.


Matt and I in Central Park.


Matt, hindering me from getting the artistic shot of the stonework in Central Park.


There, that's better.


The New York Public Library reading room. Very cool. Made me almost wish I had a paper to write so I'd have a reason to work in there. (Thought of you a lot while there, Tiffany)


Empire State Building

5th Avenue. I love this picture. I can hear the cars, smell the subway and feel the cold on my nose.

Matt and the Statue of Liberty. We rode the Staten Island Ferry so we could get some good pictures and a closer look. I used my new telephoto lens. I was able to get some great shots.

Me and the Statue of Liberty.

Haha, from those previous pictures I bet you thought my telephoto lens wasn't helping much. You can see from above how far away we were. I actually have some closer pictures than this one, but the sun wasn't shining as brightly then.

It was an amazing trip. We saw South Pacific at the Lincoln Center. Amazing seats on the first row of the balcony. We saw The 39 Steps with Loftin. Hilarious play, and again, amazing seats on the first row of the balcony. We saw The Rockette's Christmas Spectacular at Radio City. We were up high in the top balcony but that was a good thing as we could see the entire stage at once plus all the stuff they projected on the walls and ceilings. It was spectacular! (no surprise) and we finished our whirlwind weekend with a trip to the Met to see Turandot. We had standing room seats in the first row at the back of the orchestra. Great play and breathtaking set pieces.

Every trip we take up there just gets better and better. I've got some great tips for flea market shopping and getting around town if y'all ever head up there. It's a WONDERFUL town!

2 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

Great pictures! Of course, my favorite is the reading room. It's a must-stop if we ever make it up that way again.

The Little Family said...

What a great trip! I am quite jealous of all of your travels, but this one in particular. Thanks for sharing the photos!