Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Yosemite 2010 - Day 5 - Mariposa Sequoia Grove

None of us wanted to leave Yosemite without seeing some sequoia trees, so on our way out we stopped by the Mariposa Sequoia Grove. We walked 2 miles down to the grove and 2 miles back. Add that into the almost 4 miles we did that morning and you've got an eight mile day! Totally made me work for that steak dinner I had planned that night.


These photos just don't do these huge trees justice. They are enormous.


Me and Matt in front of a great sequoia.


As you can see, I'm about 5 feet tall - so this tree is probably at least 7 feet wide. Amazing.


And the pine cones are humongous. So cool to see something like this in person.

This trip was a wonderful once in a lifetime experience for all of us. I had a great time despite the physical exhaustion and fatigue. Matt, Martin and Maggie were perfect hiking companions. We laughed, talked, ate and spent a lot of time together in close quarters (and without showers, I have to add). I couldn't have asked for better companions. I'm so glad I let Matt talk me into going on this trip. I love looking back on these photos and still being in awe of myself for climbing that 3.5 mile hike up 4,000 feet. I honestly didn't know I had it in me and I was so proud of myself for accomplishing that feat.

Yosemite is a great vacation spot. There's a lodge and campsites if you're not into the wilderness camping we did. The hikes are strenuous but the views are completely worth it. I can't wait to carry my kids back there someday.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: