Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cell Phones

Matt and I just got back from a much needed weekend getaway to Orlando. We went to Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom with a ballgame and a rock concert squeezed into the middle on Saturday. This morning we shopped in IKEA, one of my favorite stores. We bought some great and useful stuff for the house. Including a new chandelier for the dining room. We were quite proud of ourselves when we installed it today. It was a little intimidating, but we pulled it off and couldn't be prouder. It's like we hung our first-born in there. We leave the light on and go in the room occasionally just to gaze at the splendor.



The rock concert I mentioned was a little trip to the Orlando House of Blues to see Metro Station. After being at the concert, if you know a 14-20-year-old person, chances are pretty good they'll know who Metro Station is.I say this because that is the average age of the concert goers Saturday night. (Most people my age do not know this band when I mention it) Matt and I stood in the back by the bar, I had my cell phone out, constantly clicking refresh for Bama-LSU updates and Matt was trying not to wince too obviously when the 14-year-old girls next to us squealed whenever it seemed like the band was about to start, (if we thought their squealing was bad NOW, we had no idea what was coming when the concert actually started. We are both deaf in one ear.) Anyways, the band comes out, very high energy, lots of jumping up and down from the crowd on the floor and I saw something that bothered me...TONS of cell phones up in the air, bobbing with the music....These cell phones were grasped in the hands of the kids, I guess they were recording the show and taking pictures to show their friends later. It was kind of sad to watch, I remember before cell phone cameras, when I went to a concert we actually watched the performers with our eyes, not through our teeny cell phone cameras...it was like they were missing this really cool thing of their youth because, although they would have the memory of it on their cell phone (which they'll probably lose in a few months when they upgrade to a newer, cooler model cell phone), they wouldn't have the memory of the concert in their brains, the memory of what they saw with their own eyes.

I guess it's just a personal thing. I love to have pictures of stuff, but I also like to take the time to look around and establish a memory in my brain. I always loved on the original Parent Trap movie when one of the twins met her grandfather for the first time after they had switched. She looked at him and smelled him and told him she was "making a memory". I've got a lot of good memories from the weekend and I know it's because those cell phones made me stop and think and actually look around me.

3 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

The band is new to me, too. :) Glad you had a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cool chandelier!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the newest iphone application: a virtual cigarette lighter to hold up during concerts. It responds to touch control, so you can "snap" the lid open and light a flame.